I am going to ask all who participate in civil disobedience on S17 to think about the following:
1. We claim to represent the 99 percent in suffering horrific unemployment, limited work opportunity, escalating income inequality and student loan debt with limited opportunity for work etc.
2. When we had wide-spread support in 2011 as measured by large numbers and very positive press coverage, our message was focused: we made it clear that we were angry about money in politics, untenable income inequality, and the unemployment of many while a few flourish.
3. Since then, support has suffered as Occupy has become associated with fights with cops, diffuse anger and a less focused message.
4. If we are to win, we need the support of the clerk in Youngstown, the single mother facing foreclosure in Denver and the union postal worker who faces losing his job.
5. What do these images convey? They say to me that these men are criminals. Otherwise, why would they be hiding behind a mask? Are they felons? Do they plan to commit crimes? Will these crimes be violent?
It is probable that none of the following is true, and that these activists are emulating anarchists in Greece. But think about the message that the masks convey: We are dangerous, we are frightening.
And perhaps most important: we are not anything like most members of the 99 percent.
Some may say my concerns are trivial. But mass movements need support to win. We can not effect change in this society through small cadre actions.
Please on Sept. 17, go out with love in your hearts, a focused message and a consciousness about what we need to do to win support from the people who need us most.
Are you kidding me? The people in the photo are holding up protests props which resembles the cider blocks the NYPD are placing around Zuccotti Park. The original text clearly states that. Do us all a favor and stop trying to dictate how we protest. This is the kind of liberal trash that separated OWS. Anarchists are not boogeymen, hell bent on creating chaos.
When a law is unjust, the just person has the imperative to break that law. A crime will be committed by definition. Otherwise, you’re not protesting or demonstrating against the system. You’re demonstrating the effectiveness of the system in suppressing your free expression and dictating your behaviors.
Who brings the interpretation of the masks as announcing danger? Why do you find the mask threatening? Why are you more likely to trust a person in police uniform than a person obscuring their identity for protective reasons? The person in the police uniform is far more likely to shoot you or provoke violence among protesters or even to shoot at by-standards.
Congratulations on perpetuating unsubstantiated stereotypes about anarchists and anonymous protesters.
- sucka-emcee likes this
- jankypics likes this
- godlesssaint reblogged this from societys-misfit
- sinshine reblogged this from idlnmclean
- creepyconversations likes this
- marlboro-and-me reblogged this from berniebedbugbanannaboo
- love-buzz-baby reblogged this from societys-misfit
- kokobat likes this
- berniebedbugbanannaboo reblogged this from societys-misfit
- societys-misfit reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- rapseyrecommends reblogged this from selva
- lessie2d likes this
- freeopensociety reblogged this from idlnmclean
- hardestway likes this
- elfboi reblogged this from occupywallstreet
- amlakzufan likes this
- seymourbuhts likes this
- tenderqweer reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- empathy-vs-apathy-nyc reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- collaterlysisters reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- renokowest reblogged this from realworldnews
- renokowest likes this
- athousandofmywords reblogged this from anok4uok
- selva reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- anok4uok reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- selva likes this
- majikmc reblogged this from oldenough2burmom and added:
- majikmc likes this
- freedomeisntfree reblogged this from oldenough2burmom
- quickhits likes this
- loganmirto likes this
- areyouapeople reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- mcsasshole likes this
- mrgenerico likes this
- lonelyvagabond likes this
- winneganfake reblogged this from idlnmclean
- chatdecarabas likes this
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- craiggy-d reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- idlnmclean reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- -badassbadger likes this
- peacefulthoughts-peacefulactions reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- alaok-thebigspoon likes this
- swagandpassion reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- culturerevo likes this
- reversephilosophy reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- pandahspunk likes this
- meditacionesofvandals reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- anarcho-queer reblogged this from socialdemocracy and added: