What Are the Alternatives to Capitalism and Monetary Systems?
A long answer involves talking about generic, user-grade fabrication technoloy; creating a free and open patent commons alternative; free and open source intellectual commons; de-emphasis of power for user grade computerized hardware and change of emphasis to reduction of unit of power dissipation per unit performance and reduction of cost to manufacture; decentralization and distribution of essential utilities including power generation, communications, fresh water generation, transportation, food supply and distribution; introduction of new models of education and education “institutes” which might include models from hackerspaces, unconferences, OpenCourseWare and similar learning annexes, and developer studio systems; the concept of the city needs to be redesigned and re-engineered in the face of modern technological developments and methods of reasoning; a system of free open hypothesis publication, annotation, experimentation, peer review, and consensus decision making will need to be established.
It is my opinion and recommendation that this economy should be assumed to conform to known physical principles; thus, recognized as fundamentally limited by the standard model of physics.
In other words, a parallel reboot of the system. Reformat a portion of the engine and install a new operating system.
The theory of evolution provides an answer. We out perform them. Basic principle of the tool. Each generation can produce more per person than the last. One farmer can provide way more food than they need. They can provide for hundreds if not thousands. They do so by improving their methods and using better tools. Better tools don’t always mean the latest thing. It only takes 10% of the population to adopt an idea for the other 90% to follow suite. Capitalism is parasitical in operation. Profit is nothing more than another label for plunder. Kickstarter, bitcoin, and the various microtransaction services provide a model for how to build around contribution-based economies. You give as well as you get. Free open source principles and distributed community-based production bring the costs of production down, and for those things with a marginal cost near to zero, the society can copy them pretty much at no cost to the society.
The only thing any human being has to trade is their time. The only acceptable exachange of value between people is their time. People have about 60 hours in a week in which to do things effectively. 40 hours a week to do things at optimal productivity. 30 hours a week to do things at good productivity with few long term health risks. We want people tending towards 0 hours a week needed for everyone to get what they need.
The best the total economy can hope for is to break even.
People who are not doing human-necessary tasks would be encouraged to take advantage of the “playgrounds”, games, workshops, studios, and other media made available by free open source communities for personal enrichment.
Human-necessary tasks would be partitioned into lists of greatest number, most difficult to cybernate, and highest priority (needs before wants). Then we find the intersection with the greatest number and least difficult to cybernate and highest priority. We cybernate those first. Regenerate the lists as we go. The idea is to put the largest number of people out of work we possibly can with the minimum of effort while getting the greatest necessities met of the largest number of people.
We use technological unemployment as a boon not a bane. We use it to liberate people from the system to be returned to the free pool of people.
We get people to cooperate by playing games. No joke. http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html