Prop 37 defeated: California voters reject mandatory GMO labeling
November 8, 2012
California voters rejected Prop 37, which would have required retailers and food companies to label products made with genetically modified ingredients.
Millions of dollars, mostly from outside of California, were poured into campaigns both for and against Prop 37. But the donations that came in weighed heavily in favor of Prop 37’s opponents.
Companies like Monsanto and The Hershey Co. contributed to what was eventually a $44 million windfall for “No on Prop 37,” while proponents were only able to raise $7.3 million, reports California Watch.
Still, despite the lopsided campaign funding power, voting on Prop 37 was relatively close. As of this story’s publish time (98.5 percent of precincts reporting), Prop 37 was able to gain 47 percent of California’s vote.
Opponents of Prop 37 blitzed California with campaign ads on a variety of different reasons GMO labeling would be costly for consumers and punitive to businesses like small farms and mom-and-pop stores. The anti-Prop 37 movement also gained endorsements from prominent publications like the Los Angeles Times and the San Francisco Chronicle — not necessarily because the newspapers were against GMO labeling, but because of the way the ballot initiative was written.
Meanwhile, Prop 37 found supporters among celebrities, the restaurant world and food movement activists like Michael Pollan. In a piece for the New York Times, Pollan hailed its potential for igniting a nationwide debate about the industrial food complex:Already, Prop 37 has ignited precisely the kind of debate — about the risks and benefits of genetically modified food; about transparency and the consumer’s right to know — that Monsanto and its allies have managed to stifle in Washington for nearly two decades.
If California had passed Prop 37, it would have been the first state in the U.S. to pass GMO labeling legislation. China, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, countries in the European Union, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, India and Chile are just a few of the nations that already require GMO foods to be labeled.
Look at all those countries who have stood up to GMOs. We have a right to know what we’re eating!
Not voting yes on that was basically saying, ”I want to remain ignorant and I want my friends, family and neighbours to remain ignorant.”
- urbanoutfittersofficial likes this
- minttrope likes this
- tendollarurl likes this
- lifes-journeys reblogged this from pearlwithagirlearring
- phofilmfan reblogged this from pearlwithagirlearring
- phofilmfan likes this
- kalisherni likes this
- pearlwithagirlearring reblogged this from darkjez
- starsign69 reblogged this from elysethegorgonqueen
- nerdlover510 reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- rareandradiantmaiden reblogged this from mamaatheist
- readtoknowbasis likes this
- rhodanum reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- rhodanum likes this
- cannelledusoleil likes this
- waitloss likes this
- morethantheone reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- jebonair likes this
- substitute-personality likes this
- brooklynnbkp reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- gaytoast likes this
- under--the--willow likes this
- epic-things likes this
- radicalrebellion reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- myblack-is-beautiful reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- creatures-of-mercy likes this
- retoxx reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- knowledgeequalsblackpower reblogged this from darkjez
- darkjez reblogged this from skyliting and added:
- skyliting reblogged this from mamaatheist
- revel-in-the-abnormal reblogged this from mamaatheist
- mamaatheist reblogged this from teaspoon-of-salt
- regain-liberty reblogged this from anarcho-tona
- alyssafilth likes this
- warlikeparakeet88 likes this
- satanic-capitalist reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- somewhatlawgical likes this
- peacefulwarriors reblogged this from kp777
- romneysspookyunderpants reblogged this from elysethegorgonqueen
- spiralyourbeing likes this
- judiapinta likes this
- elysethegorgonqueen reblogged this from generalbriefing
- lareinadeamor likes this
- pfowolf likes this
- marijuanaissafer likes this
- sylphaeon reblogged this from anarcho-tona and added:
- thereluctantrawfoodist likes this